Lauren J Gonitzke graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2017 with a Bachelor of Arts in English and minors in Chinese and Asian American Studies.
As a digital native, she is a critical and avid consumer of media. The nuance of language and the various ways in which one tells a compelling story are her specialties.
Lauren has always been a creative soul, so this website is a documentation of her hobbies and passions: photography, videography, other forms of art, introspective essays, and critical reflections on popular culture.
Grabango – Berkeley, CA | Quality Trainer – May 2019 - Present
○ Help collect, clean, and label data/images with attention to detail and accuracy.
○ Use a set of rules to process each data set, logging exceptions as they occur.
○ Report and write up any software glitches and bugs encountered.
○ Work effectively as a team member, supporting peers and providing insights to improve internal procedures.
○ Adapt to the needs and structure/environment of a rapidly growing company's changes over time.
○ Participate in the company’s Equity and Inclusion working group
Hiawatha Lodge & Inn – Eagle River, WI | Front Desk Manager – Oct 2018 - Mar 2019
○ Provided front-line customer care in person, via telephone, and via communication and operations support for the Hiawatha Lodge.
○ Managed the reservation software, supported building care, assisted housekeeping with cleaning, and executed marketing initiatives, which included social media planning and execution; keeping the business presence online current; taking quality and creative photos and videos.
○ Used Google Analytics and FullStory to collect information about customer behavior and audit the website for a more optimized, efficient, and pleasant user experience on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
○ Created and implemented a website audit and improvement plan to increase SEO and the quality of user experience. i.e. Updated the website copy, pages, information, background image, the organization of layout/navigation, etc.
○ Facilitated transition to new reservation software by importing descriptions, room information, photos, preparing figuration for going live, and training coworkers on new system.
Hiawatha Lodge & Inn – Eagle River, WI | Social Media Marketing Intern – Aug - Oct 2018
○ Supported front desk operations (welcome visitors, take reservations, check guests in and out, answer phone calls), assisted housekeeping as needed, and learned about the behind-the-scene ins and outs of running a small business in the hospitality industry.
○ Increased Facebook reach by 200% and average engagement on posts by 65%; managed a Facebook advertising budget and tracked responses to record data on target & lookalike audiences.
○ Strategically planned out the social media & marketing calendar for months in advance; prepared and executed initiatives and campaigns, which included scheduling and organizing content using apps such as Hootsuite and Buffer, as well as tracking engagement (audience, viewership, and customer responses) to inform best practices.
○ Shot and edited photos and videos, designed print materials (door hangers, postcards, etc) and updated ad copy and photo content for the WordPress website, online engines, and social media outlets (primarily Facebook, Instagram, Google My Business, and Yelp.
Rikuzen Takata Project – Tokyo and Rikuzen Takata, Japan | Sept 2017
○ Worked together with Japanese students in applying combined skill sets to a community project: design and develop usable promotional material for Rikuzen Takata's tourism industry.
○ Acted as a peer leader, educator, and cultural guide to a group of 7-10 students from China, Taiwan, Macau, and Japan on an intensive academic and immersive 4-week summer program.
○ Maintained student safety, gave students tools to feel comfortable both on and off campus, and challenge students’ preconceived notions about the U.S. and Americans.
○ Created an environment that fosters learning, exploration, open dialogue, and lasting cross-cultural friendships.
○ Attended daily meetings with the Program Director and other coordinators to plan and prepare for upcoming programming and activities.
○ Kept lines of communication open for both staff and students; supervised students during off-campus activities.
○ Assisted the Program Director with daily program operation, including: scheduling, transportation, and event logistics.
Melanin Speaking, a student-run publication for artists and writers of color – Madison, WI | Co-Founder – 2016 - 2017
○ Maintained Facebook, Twitter, and website; promoted website and spotlight work by students on social media.
○ Created logo; designed & disseminated promotional materials, especially when calling for submissions.
○ Reviewed submissions then formatted and published submissions on the original WordPress website.
Student Labor Action Coalition – Madison, WI | Core Member – 2015 - 2017
○ Educated students about labor solidarity and activism on domestic and international issues; spread awareness through social media and actions.
○ Planned and coordinated campaigns, which included workshops, teach-ins, rallies, writing op-eds, etc.
Writing Center – Madison, WI | Writing Fellow – 2016 - 2017
○ Under the guidance of faculty, worked closely with 10 to 15 students enrolled in a writing-intensive course.
○ Made written comments on drafts of assigned papers and held one-on-one conferences with students to brainstorm ideas for revision and develop their writing abilities.
University of Wisconsin Press – Madison, WI | Events Coordinator – Summer 2016
○ Set up and organized events for UW Press authors with upcoming book releases, which included: Pitching author events to bookstores and libraries & pitching author interviews to radio, print, and TV in the locale of the event.
○ Created marketing and advertising material to publicize events; Sent out e-blasts to media or individuals via email lists, set up Facebook boosts, etc.
○ Windows & MAC OS
○ Microsoft Suite, Adobe Suite, Canva
○ Social Media Platforms, Blogging
○ Photography & Photographic Editing
○ Use and Synchronization of Cloud Storage
○ Use of Google Productivity Suite and Microsoft Office, including the integration of documents with other systems
○ Proficiency in team communication software and communication programs
○ Rapid Skill Acquisition and Versatility
○ Problem Solving and Self-management
○ Comfortable in working with Decentralized Teams and Off-Site Management
○ Peer & Youth Mentoring
○ Training Coworkers in Adapting to New Systems
○ English (Native)
○ Mandarin Chinese (Working Proficiency)
○ Japanese (Basic)
University of Wisconsin-Madison – Bachelor of Arts – 2017
MAJOR: English Creative Writing
MINORS: Chinese, Asian American Studies